Wednesday, January 03, 2018

2018 is the new 2008

It was the moment Paul started watching a YouTube compilation of people jumping into trampolines filled with stuff that I threw off the blanket, stood up from my perpetually-reclined position on the couch and told him, "I need to do something productive."

This, plus some gentle nudging from ye old bestie of yore about resurrecting the blog and WAH-LA. I make no promises, but perhaps the evenings of 2018 can be filled with a little more night type clickity-clack and a little less self loathing while playing Two Dots and simultaneously wanting to beat the level and hurry up and waste all my lives in the hope of doing something else.

So here we are. Blogging like it's 2008, which feels like yesterday, but tonight I cooked frozen ground beef in an Instant Pot in 20 minutes, so it's the future! Quit living in the past Nat! (Except we also watched Die Hard 2 tonight which was made in 1990, so I continue to be a walking contradiction.)

Today was my first full day back at work after the holiday, which wasn't all too terrible. By the calculations I did yesterday, I worked all of six full days in December between our glorious week-long Hawaiian hiatus and the speed of business that gets done during the winter holidays. Big business, man! (I'm loving it.) ((Also, I got a new job, having left my old nearly-there-a-decade job, which is a loooooong soap opera which should really be a telenovela.))

Our biggest accomplishment of 2017 was several substantial payments made directly to the principal on our mortgage. Today I plotted the number of years we've now cut our loan to in this mortgage amoritization calculator in Excel (spoiler: a downloadable version is at the very bottom of the article). Pay down principal as early and as often as you can folks. Our goal is to pay off the house before Remy hits High School.

THIS IS WHO I'VE BECOME. You used to come for off-the-wall associations and a creative turn of phrase, and now you're dialing in for mortgage tips and rundowns of a run-of-the-mill Tuesday from a middle-aged working mother. SOMEONE DECORATE MY HOUSE WITH MORE WHITE SPACE SO I CAN TURN BLOGGING INTO A BONAFIDE CAREER ALREADY.

Okysmoke. That's enough for now, let's not set the bar too high.

1 comment:

ju said...

This did not disappoint. Except I’m not going to pay off my mortgage as fast as you’d like. Let’s not talk about that or taxes.

Definitely, maybe, probaby related posts:

If NatA! posted a photo with this blog, here it is!