Monday, May 01, 2006

United 93

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I saw United 93 this weekend. Simply said, it was moving.

In fact, I've been thinking about it pretty much nonstop since I saw it Friday night. The film has sparked much debated controversy across the country. Is it too soon for a 9/11 movie? Is the country ready to relive the events of that day?

In my opinion, both before and after the movie, my personal answer is Yes. I did a lot of research about the movie in the weeks before it opened. Paul Greengrass (the writer & director) spent hours of time consulting with the victims' families prior to the writing and screening. The movie is not sensationalism or overly gory--it's also not a movie for viewing pleasure; it's simply a fascinating view of the unfolding of that historic morning.

The movie unfolded in near real-time style. Scenes flipped back and forth from the airport, several air traffic control stations, military headquarters, and the plane itself. Where much time and visual images could have been exploited (the planes hitting the WTCs, the towers collapsing, multiple planes being hijacked), the film was strict to the story it told--and it didn't get bogged down with plot or sensory overload.

I was most impressed with the portrayal of the plane's hijackers. The film opened with the four hijackers preparing for the day--showering, getting dressed, and praying in their hotel rooms. The raw emotion the four English-Iraqi actors displayed was gripping. They weren't cartoonish villains. The moment before they got on the plane the lead hijacker was briefly shown speaking on a cell phone saying, "I love you. I love you." and looking like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders.

The movie is rated R for language (one military man says the "F" word four times in about a minute) and "some intense sequences of terror and violence." The pressure and intensity steadily increased throughout the movie, but there was no unnecessary violence or blood.

Mostly, I'm speechless when it comes to describing this movie and the way it made me feel. In some ways it was cathartic. It was sad. It was powerful. But mostly, it made me think.

The decision to see United 93 is a personal choice. Some people aren't ready to see it--and I can understand that sentiment. At times, the movie wasn't easy to watch. Or stomach. I have zero regrets in seeing the film and will recommend it to anyone half-interested in seeing it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

Definitely, maybe, probaby related posts:

If NatA! posted a photo with this blog, here it is!