Friday, September 15, 2006

Spill-n-Go

So last night Krista and I did a bad thing and started watching Season II of Grey's Anatomy. We were hooked and once the first disc was completed went on a frenzied RedBox hunt for any of the other discs... to no avail. In an effort to console myself, we stopped at the Chevron on our corner for a drink.

I filled up and went to pay. (Believe me, this is very routine. I frequent this Chev often and am actually chummy with a few of the morning workers.) My "favorite" evening worker was there--and when I say "favorite", let me explain--this guy is a freak. A super freak. He makes the most awkward conversation... Mel can attest. (Random conversation about how his buddy borrowed $7 grand in gambling debts, etc.) I count out my change, hand it over, and as he's handing back my nickel time freezes. I reach for the nickel, but my sweatshirt cuff catches on the lid of my drink and the motion propels it forward.... the lid comes off and splashes all over.

32 ounces of Diet-caffeine-free-Pepsi all over.

Here's how the conversation drew-out.

ChevMan: Oh no... it got all over my... sweatshirt. Just where I knew it would.

::standing there, not knowing what to do, the line behind me growing::
Me: I'm so sorry.

ChevMan: And it's all over the floor... and the ground... and the computer...

Me: I'm so sorry. Is there anything I can do?

Meanwhile, the ChevMan has found some very white teatowels to mop up the mess. The fluid and the ice... it's just everywhere. I find the whole thing off-the-wall hilarious and am just standing there with my shoulders shaking, trying not to giggle outloud.

::thinking that I'm crying::
ChevMan: Just breathe, everything's going to be okay.

::shoulders shake harder as I realize he thinks I'm crying::
Me: It's just been a long day, you know?

ChevMan: Well my night just got a little longer.

::Krista put her hood on::

BeerManInLine: What's going on up there?

ChevMan: Well go ahead and get a refill.

So that's where it ended. ChevMan mopped up the little remaining fluid I'd spilled all over his station. Me sheepishly refilling my drink. Us beating a hasty effort to the comfort of outside and my car. I busted out laughing the second we got home.

The silver lining in this whole cloud? There was one episode left on the Grey's DVD we weren't aware of. It's true... every story does have a good ending.

5 comments:

maWeesa said...

he's a freaker!

Anonymous said...

::Krista put her hood on::

This has got to be my favorite line... and how you wrote it with colons is amazing... and it captures Krista's non willingness to help you.

Amazing Nat amazing.

Anonymous said...

You watch Grey's Anatomy?

NatAttack said...

Dear Snot Face,

Yes.

Yours,
Sweaty From the Gym

kendall said...

there is no way that anyone could write a more hilarious narrative of this story. and i wish snot face was a real person.

Definitely, maybe, probaby related posts:

If NatA! posted a photo with this blog, here it is!