Wednesday, September 30, 2009

uno, dos, tres, catorce

Long story short, I've had the vertigo. Boy howdy, it's not something I'd wish on anyone. Like child birth (I imagine), until you've experienced it yourself, there's really no way to describe it. The chasm between sympathy and empathy has never been greater than on the vertigo front.

I had three episodes in five days; bookending the weekend. (Awesome timing btw.) The onset was from 0 to 100 in about 3 minutes flat, so I was lucky to have been at home for two of them and able to quickly get home in the case of the other. My friends have been so kind in their offers to help and their checking-in-ingness.

So what is vertigo? Some of you may only have reference to Lucille 2 from Arrested Development. Some of you could sing me the entire U2 song. Sadly; it's little of either of those things. Vertigo is a wild carnival ride you can't escape; the worst motion sick you've ever been multiplied by 100. The tiniest movement; the tilt of the head, a lift of a finger makes you long for sudden death. It's pretty rad, friends.

Yes, I've been to the doctor. The silver lining is I'm going to have my hearing checked! Next month I'll finally know if I have a crummy left ear, or if I've been making it up in my head all these years. Won't that be a fun game? Some of you are anxiously looking forward to gender-identification ultrasounds--in like fashion, I shall look forward to my own exploratory medical procedure. W00t! Who said the marrieds have all the medical fun?

So lil readers. I'm sorry I haven't updated in the past little while. I've been too busy laying in my bed wishing for my world to stop spinning. You see, I'm at a place called vertigo. And hey, I'm a celebrity! Get me out of here!

4 comments:

Brittney said...

It's a genetic curse in my family (mom's fault). NOT fun. I really can empathize with you. Mine is triggered by migraines....which are triggered by a combo of me not eating right and not sleeping enough. Yeah, fun. Most people just get tired and hungry....no, I get to pretend I'm on the Tilt-a-Whirl if I don't take care of myself. The first time it happened to me was the morning of the Christmas dance my senior year of high school. I rested all day and barely made it through the dance. I probably looked about as tipsy as the real drunk people there. Check out the migraine/eat/sleep thing if the ear thing checks out. Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

Mary B said...

Wow, I'm so sorry! That sounds horrible. I can only imagine. :(

The Carlson Family said...

Have the checked you for Meiners? My dad had it and had vertigo so bad he couldn't walk. I'm so sorry you had to deal with it!

Snowfam said...

Natalie-this is Cheri Snow. I had the same 'fun' experience but my Dr. gave me the miracle cure. I had BPV which you can look up online. There's a procedure the will move the little thing that settles in your inner ear and it really solves the problem! If you're interested give me a call-I literally feel your pain.

Definitely, maybe, probaby related posts:

If NatA! posted a photo with this blog, here it is!