Friday, August 18, 2006

Luxembourg and Lava Lamps

Last night, Heather and I participated in a head-to-head Trivial Pursuit Lightening Round match against these three new boys we've kind of been hanging out with. The round began and they correctly answered the first five questions on their card. High stakes! They fumbled on the last wild card question, so it was our turn.

I can't remember exactly what our questions were (being the geek that I am, I actually looked for the card to post the questions but couldn't find it), but here are the correct answers we gave in consecutive order. (Feel free to play Jeopardy! style and make up the questions.)

1. Luxembourg
2. "Midnight Train to Georgia"
3. Benjamin Franklin
4. Lava Lamp
5.
6. Samurai Jack

Needless to say, we ended up losing, but still had a pretty impressive display of trivial knowledge. Personally, I was excited to play--all my roommates pretty much hate TP, so I haven't played even once this year. Bringing out the game was like finding an old friend... and a very welcome friend.

According to an article I just found on Slate, Trivial Pursuit is on the decline. I'm not shocked. Nevertheless, this quote puts it all into perspective:

"To win at Trivial Pursuit is to achieve something greater than mastering a board game. It is to achieve mastery of one's subculture: to have successfully determined which bits of information to retain and which to discard."

No comments:

Definitely, maybe, probaby related posts:

If NatA! posted a photo with this blog, here it is!