Friday, August 24, 2007

Moonlighting

I've always been a little of an event planner. (See Prom, All that Jazz, Disco Birthday Extravaganza, etc.) This week, stars, planets, comets, galaxies, space shuttles, and aliens collied and threw up in my inbox. I find myself the coordinator of more simultaneous events than I could have imagined. It's amazing my head hasn't exploded. The email chains on some of the events have reached in the low 30's. Besides taking care of 8 college math books that are behind deadline, I am or have been helping plan some of these activities:

This doesn't include emails from the ward list serve, blog comments, BNB emails, email "chats" with my sister Alaina, or any other number of back and forth. As much as I love email, it's keepin' me moving lately.

Perhaps the largest scale event planned this week however, was the exceptionally rash, impromptu, spontaneous decision to go to Ireland. IRELAND.

If you know me well (how often do I use this phrase? Sheesh, I'm pretty predictable huh?), you know I can find great deals. Anywhere. At anytime. Especially on travel. So that's the back story. I found a pretty fantastic deal on a flight, hotel, and car for four people in the off-season of western Ireland, known to UKers as "holiday Ireland." We had to act fast, so I shot out some feelers and those feelers turned into solid commitments, and within 45-minutes of finding the deal, we were sold on traveling.

We will be staying at the Adare Manor in Shannon, Ireland's leading hotel resort and one of the 500 best hotels in the world. We have a 2-bedroom townhouse with living room, dining room, full kitchen and washer/dryer. I think I'll be taking more food to Ireland than clothing. We'll probably run the wheels off our car--I'm looking forward to driving on the wrong side of the car on the wrong side of the road. We may take a day trip to England or Scotland or some other passport stamp-worthy location.

I, of course, can't get Garth Brooks' song, "Ireland" out of my head. I had to download it and it's kind of been on repeat. Ireland, I'm coming home. I can see your rolling fields of green, and fences made of stone...

February seems like an awfully long time from now. Good thing all the holidays are in between to keep my brain occupied!

So that's it. What I've been working on this week. This moonlighting thing is tough! It's kind of making me a stress ball. Sadly, I love to have my hands in the pots... and someone's gotta do it...

9 comments:

ju said...

man- you should get a blackberry or something.

and i vote we watch Darby O'Gill and the Little People at least twice before we go.

Rachel Eve said...

I can't believe it. But then, its you! I want to grow up and be you. How do you find such good deals always?

Maybe you should quit your job and become a party planner. You'd be great at it!

Happy IRELAND!

Alaina said...

Congratulations! So exciting. I can't believe the deal you got, either - even frugal me would go for that. And I agree with Rachel. I want to grow up to be you.

Mary said...

"Ohhhh... she is my dear, my darlin' one, her eyes so sparkly and full o'fun. No other, no other, could match the likes of herrrr!" Everyone! All together!

maWeesa said...

I'M GLAD YOU'RE GOING, AND SAD I'M NOT.. BOO... BEING UMEMPLOYED SUCKS!

Carly said...

I cannont even tell you how insanely jealous I am right now. Even though I just kind of just did.

Jan said...

Hey! How about havin' a hand in planning the Thanksgiving trip that never ends beginning in NYC this Nov with NINE (9) family members TWO (2) Broadway shows THREE (3) nights at the Marriott Marquee a migration to Boston wherein 5 of us will participate in a fun(?) 6k run and eat turkey together...This WAS your planning idea...wasn't it?

Jan said...

oh, yes! And what a great trip! good for you....
mom

Anonymous said...

Nice observation, thanks. I don’t visit your blog every day, but when I
visit your blog I enjoy browsing through your old posts and try to catch up
what I have missed since my last visit.

Definitely, maybe, probaby related posts:

If NatA! posted a photo with this blog, here it is!