Friday, January 12, 2007

In Stoneybrook, CT born and raised

Any one who has read my blog more than half a time realizes I think and make connections in very strange ways. This blog won't be new to you. If this is your first foray into my self-centered world, welcome, and don't be too alarmed.

Last night I was going to get my hair cut. Like cut-cut. My hairdresser (as always) talked me out of if with a showering of compliments that left me saturated with indecision. So instead of a new Natalie, I got a half-inch trim and a bangs cut.

So there I was this morning, getting ready for work. I looked up from brushing my teeth and realized I was a mirrored-reflection of what I always imagined Dawn Schafer from The Babysitter's Club to look like. The long, blonde 13-year-old hair, the bangs... it kind of freaked me out.

Upon deeper reflection, I realized I share several similar traits to the other BSC members. In no particular order, here are the similarities:

My outfit today is very Mary Anne. I don't think any of the other sitters would have worn a sweater vest.
Stacey is a mad shopper, I am a madder shopper.
Claudia is a not so very good speller... I have isseus. "Claudia was also a junk food fiend," Natalie types as she scarfs the king-size bag of Skittles her co-worker David gave in go-away giftatute.

I struggled with the Kristy Thomas comparison until my bag fell off the top shelf in the bathroom and some of my makeup fell into the toilet. I swore like only tomboy Kristy probably could have. Additionally, upon Wikipedia inspection, I found this quote. "Kristy is known for her great ideas...as well as her bossiness and a big mouth that can occasionally get her in trouble." Check, check, check.

Who knew Ann M. Martin would have such a lasting impression on me?

----

In quasi-related news, I made my first edits to Wikipedia. A shining moment and one I shall have to write in my journal. Who knew I knew so much about the Babysitter's Club? It's been 15 years since I read any of the books but I remember certain plot points or strange details that I should have forgotten by now. I felt it my duty however to edit some of the content on the Wiki entry. I can't help if I saw Dawn's middle name spelled wrong or knew that future dreamboat Ryan Gosling was also in the BSC movie. It's my job to pass this useless information on!

----

In related annoying news, this is the second time I wrote this entry. Blogger ate my first after it was fully written, edited, and not-quite-published. Sometimes I hate the world wide web.

8 comments:

ju said...

somehow i missed the BSC train, but i'm sure i'd most likely be that &*#$% Kristy.

anyway, welcome to boston soon! thanks for the offer of place to stay in slc, but i've actually got a place there so i'm all set. (a term you'll want to incorporate into your vocabulary as soon as possible. "i'm all set" is the correct response for almost any question you're asked. the meaning can range anywhere from being "yes, i'm ready to order," to "no thanks, i've already ordered." you'll get used to it.)

stephanielynn said...

I read almost every BSC book and cannot recall a fraction of what you can. I couldn't have even told you all of their names...I'm a little ashamed.

Anonymous said...

OH Natalie, you are a treasure chest of BSC knowledge. Thank you for the comparison list -- highly entertaining and clearly accurate!

And your hair looks beautimus. I was admiring the straight-across-the-bottom cut and straight-from-the-stylist shine. Very nice work.

kendall said...

i am shocked that you know so much about the BSC.

Kylee said...

Natalie I laught out loud reading your blog. I also read the BSC book and was proud to be a tomboy just like Kristy (I also baby sat a lot).


on another note. I just wanted to warn you that your pepi's and ice cream might not be here when you arrive. Too many of us found them tempting.

but if buying you some more will get you here any faster...I'm out! I'm all alone in this big big house and can't wait to meet your mom (which means you'll be here)

Sarah said...

That is fascinating. I couldn't have told you any of that either! Although I only have half a brain these days!

nate said...

...on the playground is where I spent most of my days. chillin out, maxin, relaxin all cool, all shooting some b-ball outside of the school. when a couple of guys they were up to no good, started makin trouble in my neighbourhood. I got in one little fight and my mom got scared and said youre moving with your auntie and uncle in bel-air...
Is that the reference you were going for?

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'm a student at the Columbia Journalism School and am working on a story about women in their 20s and 30s who still have fond memories of the Babysitters Club books. Some people seem to have a tremendous retention of details from the books, even though they read the stories 15 or so years ago.
I'd love to speak with you, Natalie, or anyone else who posted with memories from the books. Why did these books and the characters stand out?
Please contact me at msk2135@columbia.edu if you're interested in sharing your stories.
Thanks! Melissa

Definitely, maybe, probaby related posts:

If NatA! posted a photo with this blog, here it is!