Monday, January 22, 2007

Nurse Pants

You know how people sometimes call shoes that have velcro straps on them "nurse shoes," right?

Let me tell you a story.

So awhile back, I found the cutest wide-leg, dark-wash, long-enough-even-for-me Seven jeans at the Junk STore in Salt Lake. These jeans were beautiful, fit like a dream, and were only $30. Sign me up.

I tried them on in the back room and discovered they didn't have a zipper. Curses. Now I knew why they were discounted so. Nevertheless, my mother is a quasi-expert seamstress. (Stress on the "quasi" part of the seaming.) I knew she could fix them right up for me.

At Christmas time I took them home to Portland for her to repair. (And when I say took them home, I mean wore them home zipperless and all in an effort to conserve space.) Long story short, she couldn't put a zipper in them. Apparently sewing zippers is one of the hardest parts of construction and I didn't care to make her work that hard.

"Why not put a piece of velcro in them?," I asked.
"If you're sure that's what you want," Mom replied.
"Rock 'n roll," I say.

Loooong story long, my most favorite pair of pants in the world (the ones you've probably seen me wear or our probably seeing me wear) have a velcro fastener. Annoying at first, I have warmed to the quick lickity-split open/close and am starting to prefer the velcro to my zippered pants.

STep 1: Undo button
Step 2: Riiiiiiiiiiiiiip

See how easy it is? I'm starting a new trend you know. Haven't you heard? Velcro is the new zipper.

6 comments:

NYC's Most Wanted said...

This is hilar! I'm changing all of my pants today, stat!

NatAttack said...

Stat. How clever, using medical terms on a post entitled "Nurse Pants."

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

Unknown said...

.....and you never have alignment problems? I had a bathing suit with velcro and it was a pain to get lined up right sometimes.

I guess you only have to undo it enough to get it over your hips though, so you probably don't have a lot of aligning to do. Usually I had to get all the way to the bottom of my velcro to pee.

Anonymous said...

There are all sorts of "easy access" jokes I could make here. Instead, I'll simply say, "WOOHOO!" Good for you! Way to rock the designerslashvelcro styles.

MishMyBelle said...

Nat, love it! Way to be resourceful! And sevens for only $30....what a deal!

kendall said...

beware, after time the velcroness starts to get a little soft. repair will be needed.

Definitely, maybe, probaby related posts:

If NatA! posted a photo with this blog, here it is!