Friday, January 19, 2007

Through wind or snow, rain or hail

Day five of the drive:

We made it. Hallelujah we made it. We should have died about nine times on the trip. NEVER DRIVE CROSS COUNTRY IN JANUARY -- you'll probably die.

Today was full to the miz-ax. We woke up and pizza at my favorite place by Columbia at 10am. Then, Mom and I hit Canal Street and bought way more crap than my car had room for. Retrieved my car from overnight parking in Times Square--I figure no one stole anything because the car looked like utter white trash. It was the only car in the City covered from bumper to bumper with salt and from window to window with crap. (Crap I call my life, but crap nonetheless.)

We finished the drive from NYC to Boston in 5.5 hours, but we spent 1.5 of it in a grocery store in Rhode Island. Once again, filling my car with more neccesary crap. It started to rain and I started to mini-freak out. When you've been on the road five days in the heart of winter, you learn to HATE ANY kind of precipitation as it makes driving conditions unbarable. (TANGENT: I'm sure all my copywriter friends have noticed my spelling is crap. I'm not sure why I've given up on spellchecker on Blogger but apparently I have. Apologies around.) So we get to my house and hurry hurry hurry to unpack because we have to try to make it to IKEA before they close. More driving in the dark in the pouring rain.

People, I'm getting close to a nervous breakdown from driving in inclement weather. Spinning off the road and waiting to smash into something will do that to you I guess.

So we get into IKEA with an hour left in hopes of finding some furniture and a way to pull my room together. (Those of you who know my Mom know she'll throw something fabulous together without even trying.) Only problem is, you can NOT hurry through an IKEA. It's impossible. AND we both had to go to the bathroom. DRAMA. The drama ensued when we couldn't find any of the things we needed, we had to RUN back through the store to have some fabric cut before closing, and the tall bookshelf, wardrobe pieces I bought wouldn't fit into my car. Holy 10 at night drama.

Still have to go to the bathroom. Bad.

Never fear, my dad flew in tonight and had been waiting for us back at my house. He drove all the way out to IKEA (30 miles away) and took one of the long pieces in his car so we were all set. My mom had to drive with him because the driver's side of my car was jammed to the dash to accommodate those freaking long pieces that caused all this drama. Well I'm freaking out because it's POURING RAIN, and I'm so SICK of weather and driving in it (I drove probably 2000 of the 2400 miles). My parents are going to follow me back to the house.

To exits away from IKEA my windshield blade starts to creep its way off the wiper. Holy drama. If I keep wiping my windshield, I'll lose my blade and not be able to see at ALL (it's now 11:30 at night too). Blah blah blah, I turn my blinker on to get off at the next exit -- and it's at that EXACT moment my dad decides to cut around me and get in the next lane. See ya later Dad, I'm getting off in crapper Randolph, MA to fix my damn windshield blade. This is all made worse by the fact that I FORGOT MY PHONE.

Have I mentioned the drama in my life yet?

You guys! My life has been girls-gone-not-quite-wild-enough CRAZY since I started this whole Boston experience. Do you think I'm making the wrong choice and I can only be warned in so many subtle ways?

And I apologize for giving a journal entry the last five days, I'll try to weed that out soon.

And I abstained from having donuts, even the morning of my great-aunt's funeral. They were even from Albertson's.

No comments:

Definitely, maybe, probaby related posts:

If NatA! posted a photo with this blog, here it is!