Monday, July 16, 2007

Walk it Out

I sat facing the street, my lunch laid before me growing cold. I'd chosen my seat to avoid the eyes of the other diners. I had my audiobook to listen to, and I didn't want to be distracted my other diners thinking I was staring at them.

A non-distracting lunch was not in the cards however.

Unknowingly, I had positioned myself on one of the busiest streets in the Back Bay. The parade of people and vehicles was astonishing--I literally felt like I'd stepped into a Sesame Street sketch. The pace was so dizzying that I had to close my eyes every once in awhile to combat the motion sickness.

In the brief 20 minutes I sat dining (people-watching, putting food into my mouth without tasting), I saw every kind, type, color, occupation, vocation, gender, disability, and transportation method imaginable.

Now, in no particular order (either organized or layout-wise as Blogger is a PAIN to upload photos in rational, clean way) I share with you some of my viewings--comments or soundtrack may be included. See if you can match the description to the photo... call it a game! (It's okay if you don't get some of the lyrical allusions.)

"Now Walk it Out, walk it out, now walk it out, walk it out..."

This guy was seen struttin' his blue collar stuff to the tunes of Macho Man...





The T conductor is tired of working on the railroad--all the live long day.

Even Colonel Sanders crossed my window! He walked right up to my window, did a quick round of the chicken dance and then walked with purpose the other way.


This one goes out to all the baby's mamas, and mamas' mamas. I am for real.

Stroller patrol, stroller patrol.



The Back Bay would NOT be complete without a photo of some Euro boys in sport jerseys and too-short shorts. Handsome man with athletic thighs...



This guy isn't really special, but he stood in front of me for a few minutes all by himself. I was kind of nervous he was spying on me... but who am I to talk?









Boston is famous for their "Duck Tours." These vehicles can traverse both land and water. I'm very interested to go one one. Any takers?

Photos I didn't take (but I did see!) because I was too slow on the uptake...

+Homeless guy in a wheelchair +policeman +13-year-old gaggle of girls +the skateboard gang +the trashman +woman with a cane +firetruck +family in tribal African clothing +more and more and more!

The BEST part of the whole lunch was when they all formed a giant conga line in front of my window and did the bunny hop. Sadly, my phone's battery had died by then.

5 comments:

Rachel Eve said...

I love people watching! How fun. That's amazing how much can happen in just one lunch.

A CONGA line! Did you join? Put your right foot in put your right foot out put your right foot in and you shake it all about.....

wrong song.

Anonymous said...

Hey there gnatalie. I just realized how horribly long it's been since i've been on here....you seem to be doing well though. I scanned down your page a bit and managed to read one of your blogs- The overflowing toilet one, of course. Sorry i'm not in the mood to make humerous commentary, but you know i'm good for it. Just wanted to tell you i love you, and am still planning on coming up to visit. I'm waiting to hear back from the Chiro guy up there, but i'm thinking 24/25th and stay a few days....como ves? Be a doll and do your plane ticket magic, no? I still have the last link you sent, sitting right in the inbox i haven't had a chance to clean out. Holy cow-this should be an e-mail. Maybe i'll be calling you someday soon to figure it out.

Rachel said...

Next time you come to visit me we should sit on the stoop of my salon with James...now that's people watching with a gay man and a hair stylist...okay we are both hairstylists...but you get the picture. Newbury is worse than Boylston, all the crazies in there finest. No conga's though, snobs are no fun at all.

Alaina said...

I have been on a Duck Tour and it was GREAT!

ju said...

does...anybody...have...any...change...

Definitely, maybe, probaby related posts:

If NatA! posted a photo with this blog, here it is!