Monday, July 23, 2007

Everything's Coming Up Harry - The Conclusion

If you haven't been locked in a cellar the last two weeks, you know that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows dropped Friday night at midnight. As promised in earlier posts, we pulled out all the stops for Harry.
I met Mike (the Harry look-alike) and Carly in Harvard Square to stand in the pre-line wristband line at 3:30. We spent the next hour and a half discussing theories, reading plans, and anything else to keep us entertained. The freaks (and I say that lovingly since we were obviously part of said group) were out in full force dressed to the nines. (Please note the photo I swiped from Peggy of her with the Malfoys. Creepy huh?) The Death Eater in front of us had a snake. A real snake. Freaks.

We were in the first 30 people to get a wristband (to indicate we'd reserved our book); we hosed the 600+ people behind us in line who waited 2+ hours. We then dined at a local eatery, with a menu filled with Harry Potterized names and descriptions. We then joined the Harry and the Potters concert in Harvard Yard.

When I say concert, I really mean noise. Genius lyrics, but noise nonetheless. The best part, and when I say best part, I mean best part, was the guy who gave the introduction to HandthePs... those of us gathered were really quite stunned. If you have a minute to learn about love, and the POWER it holds... watch this clip and try to imagine our in person reactions.



Here's a photo of our Quidditch team. Fun huh?
When we knelt to take this photo, several of the groups around us started photoing us as well. I felt like I was having a paparazzi moment! (It was pretty awesome...)



The Beaters on our team (Jared & Ben) strike their toughest faces.















These three ladies take the prize for best costumes...

Carly, dressed as Luna Lovegood, beaded her own radish earrings, painted her tie, and punched holes in bottle caps to create her necklace.

Trisha, dressed as Professor Sprout, made her hat out of a cardboard box, a curtain, duct tape, and staples.

Angela, dressed as Cho, is one of the cutest girls out here in Boston. She was my Visiting Teacher for awhile and I just love her!
The three of us getting books had to leave the concert early to go brave the 1500 people waiting for books. Using stealth skill yet again, we procured ourselves a place in the first 40 people in line. (Thank Dumbledore for a well timed juice cart that parted a path for us to move past a gazillion people in line.) The pushing and shoving started about 10:00, and when the bookstore doors opened at 10:30, I was nervous. Really, nervous. We were standing heel-to-toe with everyone around us, it was hot, it was tiring, and at one point I was ready to throw my hands up and leave.

Sigh. We were close enough to the front that they about 100 people inside. We were in that group. Sat down on the ground, ate some jellybeans, wore our HP glasses, did some HP-related word finds, crossword puzzles, and assorted other games. Clock strikes 12, people are screaming and cheering, the line moves fast enough, and we've purchased are books and are out the door by 12:04.
The throng waiting outside was frenzied and feral. We exited the door and people are cheering and taking photos, and screaming and pushing... Paparazzi moment #2.

We started reading while we waited for the bus. I didn't finish until Saturday night. I won't say much because I know most of you haven't finished (or started), but I was completely satisfied with the book.

If you've finished, in broad general (non-spoiler) terms, did you like the book? Was it your favorite? If you haven't/aren't going to read it, do you have reasons? (I'll confess, I wasn't really into HP until book 3.) Are you ready for Potter mania to be done?

12 comments:

Rachel said...

I've only read the first chapter...you guys are freaks...actually I secretly wish I was there dressed up Draco, I think I could pull it off.

ju said...

i found harry and the potters to be possibly one of the worst bands of all time. however, the crowd seemed to love them. maybe i was bitter because i was too tired to stay there to get my book. today though, today!

kendall said...

I love the book! It might be my favorite...I'll have to read it five or six times before I can compare it to book five though.

Rachel Eve said...

I still haven't read the book. Please don't hate me! I love all the harry look a likes! You really did go all out!

Mallory Jan said...

Love love loved it! I do have to say that my night wasn't quite as exciting as yours.

Anonymous said...

I loved all the pictures...what a handsome quidditch team! how fun! I want to hold your hand next time I need to manuever through lines...
Kinobud

Tang Tang said...

Woot woot on the Harry! My students on Monday said they went, but thought it was "very freaks." "Freaky," I corrected them. "It was very freakY." But they're reading the book to, so nah! Great t-shirts.

Alaina said...

Like I said, super skinny.

Anonymous said...

I finished it two days before you even bought it.

NatAttack said...

Jake--I'm impressed! I had the links to the jpegs but had little desire to pour over that small type.

I thought I was fast finishing it within hours of purchase. Good for you!

What'd you think?

Cabra Forte said...

I thought that it was good. I still think I liked 4 and 6 better though. I thought it dragged in the middle, and even though a lot of people liked this one because it "broke the mold", I thought she got away from what made the books so fun to read.

Just my opinion. What did you think?

Anonymous said...

I agree with whoever that it dragged in the middle, and I thought the epilogue was too much.

If you didn't want to pour over the images, you should have found the text version that we finished transcribing on Thursday before it was released.

Definitely, maybe, probaby related posts:

If NatA! posted a photo with this blog, here it is!