Thursday, March 08, 2007

Stoneybrook, CT Revisited

When I started this blog last April, I didn't have any designs on being famous. Fate had other plans.

You may remember my post about The Babysitter's Club. If you don't, never fear--I merely compared myself to each of the BSC members; all because I got my bangs cut and decided I looked like Dawn.

A random post from a randomer thinker, right?
Well get this. Last week I received a comment from a Columbia Journalism student. She was writing an article on the impact the BSC books had on 20-30 year olds who still have fond memories of the characters and books and wanted to know if she could interview me.

Hot dog! Why not.

We arranged a time for a phone interview and so last night, as I was perusing the aisles at the grocery store, Melissa and I had a fairly in-depth conversation about the Babysitter's Club books. Who knew?

My favorite question she asked was, "Did you think it at all strange that you had a completely random memory association without having picked up a book in 15 years?" I honestly had to tell her no. My mind works in the strangest ways (ya'll should know that by now!) and I've learned to take the random curveballs my brain sends me and hit them out of the park.
Questions ranged from, "When did you start reading the books?" to "Did you start at the beginning?" "Are there any characters you strongly dislike?" and "Did your recalling the BSC entice you to reach out to the network of fan clubs and forums dedicated to the Babysitter's Club?"
Did you know there are online role playing games you can play with the BSC members? Players take the Sitters into high school and beyond. Claudia has a baby and Kristy is on drugs. Creepy strange. And slightly disturbing.
Melissa will now write her article and send it out over the Columbia news wire, which is an affiliate of the New York Times. 400 editors will have the chance to pick it up; she said a half-dozen or so probably would. Editors love quirky--and this could be a big hit with Connecticut papers. I asked her to keep me updated on where she gets printed.

So let this be a lesson friends. Posting about the randomest of things can bring about the randomest of requests. Blogs are the podium for grass-roots experts to share what they know in an open forum. Stay tuned for my next post on quantum physics...

1 comment:

stephanielynn said...

Totally random and totally something that would only happen to you. Love it.

Definitely, maybe, probaby related posts:

If NatA! posted a photo with this blog, here it is!