Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Write and the Wrong

Dear David, Brady and Erica,

I miss you ever so much. It's my fourth day on the job, and I've been asked to fine-tooth comb an entire corporate website (or is it Web site?) for error. We have no copywriter on staff, and I must have up-sold my writing/editing abilities in my initial job interview.

I'm in trouble. I relied on you, as my distinguished copywriters to be perfect; and you were. Are. Just not for me any more.

I miss our LOOPs. I miss compiling the changes you grammar/spelling/formatting-Nazis pounced on with unprecedented speed and ability.

Now I'm having to do it myself in a higher-stakes arena. And the copy that's supposed to be going live tomorrow would make you shudder. Take this for example:

"Not connecting with your prospects on the phone is a roadblock to building a great pipeline. " or "In addition to live leads, you will be able choose as many zip codes that you want to source an additional ten leads per month. "

You non-copywriters may or may not notice when the grammar, voice, or flow of a sentence is in dire need of a rewrite. Apparently no one here did either. I will begin the pleading to add a copywriter to staff.

I'm glad we have IM because I might be harassing you constantly--David experienced it already this morning.

I took you for granted before when I should have been thanking you profusely. Do any of you want to move to Boston?

With belated thanks and appreciation,
In missing you ever so much,
Nat

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OH, Nat... you're so sweet. Although I think you're giving Brady and David too much credit... I'm the only REAL copywriter here. (smirk)

Definitely, maybe, probaby related posts:

If NatA! posted a photo with this blog, here it is!