Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Power of One Gus-Gus

FACT:

The time is now 3:41AM.

I'm awake at such an unholy hour because there is someone in our sunroom. Granted, my lights have been off since 1, but the sound of constant four-legged burrowing is enough to keep your adrenaline pumping and thoughts of sugar-plums far from your head.

Do you know that really great scene in the movie "The Power of One"? Where all the different tribes of imprisoned South Africans combine in a magnificent concert of syncopated chant, clap and song? It's one of my most moving scenes in cinema. But anyway, that's my heart right now. Crazy wild with thumping and movement. Luckily, the song of my heart won't get Morgan Freeman beat up and killed.

NONEtheLESS, there is a mouse scampering around not ten feet from where I sleep. I hope it's a mouse anyway and not a larger raccoon or muskrat. (Side Note: does Boston even HAVE these?).

Whoever or whatever he is, I have named him Gus-Gus. And in my mind, Gus-Gus the mouse is wearing a little vest and hat. And is actually a cartoon. I don't think cartoons can gnaw your face off in the dark.

And with that on my mind, I will once again try to find sleep.

7 comments:

nici said...

don't you go deleting my comments

Lindsay Jane said...

I feel your pain. Sometimes I lie in bed and can hear the mice in the walls. We have a mice problem and a cat that likes to eat only part of the mice. Good luck, but don't forget....they can jump!

stephanielynn said...

As one who is no stranger to a Gus-Gus or two (or ten), I really do feel your pain.
I've never seen one on my bed, so maybe just consider that your "safety zone" and forget that it's possible for them to get up there.

Whits said...

Yeah I feel your pain too. Its best to use earplugs so you dont think about it or you wont be able to sleep. And did you know I named my car Gus-Gus? Its big and grey and guzzles a lot of gas. Just a side note. Good luck w/ that. I suggest the good ole fashioned snap traps w/ peanut butter. Gets them everytime.

MishMyBelle said...

SET A TRAP! Trust me you do not want those things in your house. We had a mouse in our apartment not too long ago, and had traps set immediately. I seriously have been freaked out about the rat situation here...you must do something before there are more!

maWeesa said...

get a pot.. and keep it by your bed so you can put it over Gus Gus... then get a meat head boy to come and kill him for you.. it's the perfect plan

Anonymous said...

do you think it was the king rat from the subway?
h

Definitely, maybe, probaby related posts:

If NatA! posted a photo with this blog, here it is!