Thursday, December 28, 2006

Dream, dream, dream

I've been looking forward to seeing Dreamgirls since I started hearing about it a year ago. I follow movies pretty closely and am always excited to see the ones that get a lot of buzz and actually interest me. Dreamgirls did not disappoint. I loved every second of it. **Disclaimer -- I love musicals; don't hate on me or this post if you're predispositioned to disdain. Pity for you.

The film has been nominated for five Golden Globe awards, three of which go to very deserving actors (the other two are for best original song and best musical). The performance that has generated the most industry buzz and the highest critical acclaim goes to the rookiest actor of the ensemble. Though Beyonce, Jaime Foxx, and Eddie Murphy all deliver knock-out performances, it is Jennifer Hudson's gut-wrenching portrayal as Effie White that gives Dreamgirls its grit and realism.

Many will remember Hudson from her short-lived stint on the third season of American Idol. She was dynamic in her portrayal of a larger-than-life, then later down-on-her luck diva with a voice bigger than her attitude. HOly cow, this girl can sing. I tried in vain (as is my usual routine with YouTube) to post an interview with Hudson on the Today show and her performance of one of the songs on the show. Alas, I can't. To view the interview, a brief view of her role on the show and her amazing singing, click here. (Singing starts about 4:40 if you're impatient.)
Midway through the movie in her turning point of the movie song, she sings and acts so heart-wrenchingly that the crowd burst into applause when she was done. People. This is Oregon. These people are stone and usually only get fired up over trees and endangered species. If they can be moved...
I loved this movie. I don't know how much my 15-year-old sister Mallory did. No worries. It's a movie about dreams and what must be sacrificed to achieve the dreams each of us holds for ourselves. It also lets you stomp your feet and be drawn away by soul, rhythm and sound. I'll be crossing my fingers on Golden Globes night and super excited for the Oscar noms to come out...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love following movie buzz and everything in the entertainment world, and The Girls Next Door, puke. There was a show on last year called Reunion it was so good a little dramatic but so so excellent. VM is just magnificent. I hope my disks are treating you well.

maWeesa said...

oh... i wish we saw it together.. hurry get back here... i can't wait to see you loves

Anonymous said...

um, isn't blog 200 coming up soon? what to do? what to do? such an important decision.... donuts or skittles? donuts or skittles?

Anonymous said...

p.s. the name logan smith is just delightful. i love it.

Definitely, maybe, probaby related posts:

If NatA! posted a photo with this blog, here it is!