Thursday, December 21, 2006

Pause for a Minute

I realize 98% of the blogs I post are snarky, cynical or some version of distorted reality. I enjoy writing that way and I assume if you're one of my regular readers you enjoy reading said blogging style or else you're actually more bored than I am. Amazing and alarming all at once.

That being said, I'm nearing my 200th blog (this is 196) so I'm about due for a serious blog. Maybe not so serious as a deep philosophical debate or a scathing political commentary, but I'd like to throw aside my penchant to fret about word selection or sentence construction and speak from the heart. And I'm going to come off cheesy as all get-out, but forgive this girl 2 cheeser blogs in 200. I deserve at least that much.

I'm dropping all my crazy charades, antics, commentaries and jokes for the U.S. Troops. I really have zero involvement in our country's armed forces--I don't even know anyone personally serving, and I'd be hard-pressed to think of someone I know who knows someone. That's the reality of my life. But I've always had an amazing amount of gratitude for the men and women who voluntarily serve our country.

We can sit at home, safe, warm and protected and debate why they are or aren't where they are or aren't--and we do. Most days we go about our business while right and left-wing politicians, newscasters and even Hollywood figures callously declare what's "best" for American troops. In my opinion, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a political issue scrutinized more. There's a great divide in American view of the troops and what they should and shouldn't be doing, and where they should or shouldn't be.

Nevertheless, here's the hope. Despite the debate--the rallying of the right and the lobbying of the left, I believe Americans are united on perhaps only one front; and that's respect and gratitude for our American troops. Take these two examples:

1. On my flight this morning from Phoenix to Portland, after the flight attendant's schpeal, he said something along the lines of, "At this time of year, and always, we'd like to thank the members of our United States Armed forces in uniform today, or out of uniform, for their dedication and continued service to the country." Spontaneous applause erupted throughout the cabin and lasted quite some time. I think there may have been soldiers on our flight but I'm not sure.

2. About a month ago, Krista and I went to a Jazz game. During a third period time-out a troop in the audience appeared on the jumbo tron and the loudspeaker announced that this was Private So-and-So from Draper and he was on a two-week leave from Iraq. Immediately, and without hesitation, the entire Delta Center was on its feet and applauding in a display of collective respect and united gratitude I won't forget soon. It might have been embarrassing how long we stood clapping, but the silent majority of non-debating thanks-givers was ready to be heard.

I cried both those nights, and I'm tearing up now thinking about them. I'm sitting in the middle of a movie scene--typing on a laptop in front of the Christmas tree, jazzy carols playing in the background looking out over the lights of the entire Willamette Valley (at my parents' in Oregon) warm, safe and protected. Grateful. The members of the Armed Services are the ones willing to do what we are not. What I am not. So I can't help but be grateful.

If you love to disagree with me, grant me a Christmas request and wait until the snarky, cynical, distorted reality Nat is back. For tonight, I am 2% sentimentally, undeniably, gratefully indebted.

6 comments:

Tang Tang said...

Wonderful sentiments, Nat...I honestly got cold chills whilst reading. I echo your thoughts (for you say it far more eloquently than I could dream of) and if I could show my gratitude for the armed forces by loving them senseless, I would...well, maybe just the Navy guys. Okay, maybe just one.

Carlee said...

Positively breathtaking. Talk about tearing up. . . I for sure shouldn't have read this at work. Coming from a family that the military has played a major role in, your sentiments are more than agreed with. Good post Nat!

NYC's Most Wanted said...

NICE AND SWEET! 8 immediate relatives in the military, made me really think about your comments. It's true, I only get teary eyed when it comes to patriotism and when I hear about stories of troops serving Our Country. Merry Christmas!

Kylee said...

For the land of the free
And the home of the brave
God Bless the USA!

kendall said...

where are the pictures?

Alaina said...

Thanks for your wonderful sentiments. I cried too. Maybe that's just because now that I'm a mom I cry way too easily.

Definitely, maybe, probaby related posts:

If NatA! posted a photo with this blog, here it is!