Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Movin' On Up

Well friends, I finally beat my mind last night. I’ve been dreading the ten mile run for several weeks now and could never psych myself up to do it. With race day looming in the less-than-three-week future, I figured it was time to get serious again.

I went, I ran, I went home. Nothing too fancy about that, right?

I ran 11:00 minute miles--super slow to actual runners, but a pretty good clip for me! And considering I ran ten of those in a row… That’s right folks, I spent 1:50 on the treadmill. That’s how I mentally-psych myself out of running; when I think about how long it is literally going to take me. Because 110 minutes is a reaaaaaaaaly long time. 6600 seconds. 23,100 steps. A long time. So long, in fact, a lot of things can happen:

*Watch the 2nd half of the Prestige on your personal DVD player which is beginning to be your most prized possession.
*Watch every preview on the Prestige DVD because you’ve still got 50 minutes and not much to do
*Run for a few minutes without headphones (during Neil Young’s Heart of Gold playing over the gym loudspeaker)
*With 48 minutes to go, take a 30 second pitstop to run and grab your iPod out of the locker room and make a quick pitstop (and touchup the Vaseline on high-risk chaff areas)
*Listen/Watch several podcasts on your iPod
*Start drinking from waterbottle #2
*Watch several movie trailers on your iPod
*20 minutes still left; start an episode of Friday Night Lights you’ve already seen; but hey! It’s something to do, something to watch.

5…4…3…2…1
STOP.

Hallelujah. 10 miles. Whoop!

Not too sweaty, not too chaffy, 3.1 more miles and I’dve had the half.

I ran 10 miles last night, what'd you do?

8 comments:

stephanielynn said...

I sat on my couch, watched some TV, read a book and went to bed.

You might be making me feel guilty enough to start going back to the gym...

nerak said...

Hey, Karen here (aka my-super-gave-me-stirrup-pants, friend of M&M). I'm glad you enjoyed the stirrup pants post, yet to date, there have not been any matching tops procured... However, I am not giving up hope.

My reason for commenting today is that this post brought me to the realization that I might actually meet you. You see, I am *running* the Big Lake 1/2 marathon as well! Running is a relative term for me, b/c I definitely have not been busting any 10-milers lately, so look for me coming in at the 3 hr mark... Thanks for the reminder that I have to run this death race in less than 3 weeks. I need to stop signing up for these races in order to see new places. Physical torture is only one avenue for traveling, but I suppose I'll learn my lesson soon. See you in New Hampshire?!

Lady Bills said...

i saw pretty flowers at the MFA... and got winded walking up the stairs... maybe i should have been running with you instead!!!

NatAttack said...

Oh boo! I forgot about that thing at the MFA... I totally wanted to go! Bummer.

Don't worry; I get winded on stairs, and walking down the hall, and typing really fast.

Alaina said...

WOW, you are amazing. I don't think I'll ever run ten miles in my natural life. Which means you might live longer than me.

Hmmm... last night. I watched Music and Lyrics (bust) while holding fussy baby.

MishMyBelle said...

Nat,
so proud of you!! I am excited for you to run in your race. Of course I want to hear all about it. I kind of want to go on a long run again...did I really just say that?!

Rachel said...

I was writing a crappy paper. Someday soon I'll run 10 miles, but for now I'll just admire you for being so tough.

Unknown said...

You should try blogging about your run WHILE you do it. I bet it would be a challenge/distraction enough to take up quite a bit of your time.

Definitely, maybe, probaby related posts:

If NatA! posted a photo with this blog, here it is!